Our purpose is to improve the quality of life of people with disabilities, particularly women and children, who live in the poorest and most marginalised communities, especially in the countries of the global South.
We work with like-minded people to eradicate poverty, and to establish social justice and fair shares for all.
We promote the concept of Community-Based Inclusive Development (CBID), and the principles of the CBR Guidelines and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities [UNCRPD].
We are an umbrella organisation of CBR national and regional networks that partners with other international networks and organizations to promote CBR. Our partners work for CBID by mobilizing local communities. Through this strong network of partners, the CBR Global Network empowers people with disabilities to speak with one voice, from the community to the global level.
Together, we have the strength to promote and advocate for human rights, and influence global policies.
Our stakeholders include disabled people’s organizations (DPOs), United Nations agencies, national governments, international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) and international institutions.
We believe that people in local communities understand their own circumstances best. The Network provides the platform to act locally and think globally. We work with others to strengthen communities, give a voice to local people, and make sure this voice is heard at the global level.
- To promote human rights, the UNCRPD and the principles of CBR
- To influence and support the implementation of global policies on disability rights and development.
- To ensure the inclusion of DPOs in partnerships with United Nations agencies, international organizations, and other networks.
- To support the organization of regional and global events related to CBR, disability and inclusive development.
- To act as an information exchange and to promote research.
- To support and strengthen CBR regional networks.
We value dignity, rights and respect; inclusion, equality and empowerment – and act on these values in all we do.
Our working principles:
The way in which we work is collaborative and consultative, innovative and sustainable, effective and efficient, transparent and considerate. We hold ourselves to account on these values and ways of working, and ask you to do likewise.